National - Tribal and Minority Community Toolkit
The Tribal and Minority Community Toolkit provides a powerful set of analytical tools for those considering participating in either of two recently announced NTIA Grant Programs:
- Tribal Broadband Connectivity Grants ($1 Billion)
- Connecting Minorities Pilot Program ($285 million)
These grant programs are funded by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021. The NTIA promised to release a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for each grant program in the spring / summer of 2021.
This Toolkit provides potential grant applicants the ability to quickly identify opportunities and to start building business cases.
Demographic and economic data includes:
- Population density
- Household density
- Housing unit density
- Income per capita
- Mean household income
- Median household income
- Poverty Line (by block group, reflecting HH size)
- Household Size
- SNAP Participation Rate
Nearly 2,000 eligible institutions:
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Tribal Colleges and Universities
- Minority Serving Institutions. The legislation highlights:
- Alaska Native-serving Institutions
- Native Hawaiian-serving institutions
- Hispanic-serving institutions
- Asia American and Native Pacific Islander-serving institutions
- A Native American-serving, nontribal institution
- All tribal lands
- Eligible areas surrounding qualifying educational institutions
- Eligible geographies (based on an income ratio) within a 15-mile radius of each of the thousands of qualifying institutions.
- Planned federally funded infrastructure deployments (RDOF, CAF II, USDA) that might be a reason for the NTIA to reject an application based on “duplication of funding”.
- Visual underlays and overlays offering a wide range of contextual information.
Data is available in visual and tabular (Excel) formats at a block group level.
Need more information? Take a few minutes to read about the NTIA Funding Opportunities and the Introduction (a conceptual overview) and Getting Started Guide.
Those desiring more extensive demographic, economic, or competitive data (applicable to fixed or mobile deployments) should consider the state or national versions of the CBRS Toolkit. These are available at a 50% discount, if purchased at the same time as this product, by applying the discount code “MoreData” at the time of purchase. A trial version of the CBRS Toolkit is also available.
This product includes the relevant geographies in all 50 States plus the District of Columbia plus Puerto Rico.
This product is delivered via a digital download.